Saturday, October 4, 2014

Mani Moment: Get the Perfect Exposed Nail Half Moon in Minutes

I have a confession, when exposed nail nail art first started appearing on the runway, I wasn't sold immediately. "Why should I let anyone see my natural nail," I thought. After all, I can't remember a time since middle school when my nails were unpolished. One time I had to remove my polish for a sorority ritual, and I just felt so naked.

So what changed my mind when it came to exposing part of my nail? I always favor bright polishes over darker ones, so for fall, I wanted to challenge myself to take on hues I've typically stayed away from. I've done the half moon mani thing before, and it has always turned out okay. But using a darker shade, it became all about structure and lines. This manicure transformed the shape of my nails, giving them a sleek, sophisticated but still trendy vibe.

Get the look:

1. Remember those binder reinforcement stickers you used to use back in high school? They're the secret to making the half moon mani simple! Place your stickers so that the top half is covering the bottom of your nails. (The hole of the sticker should be on your skin)

2. Paint a dark color over the rest of your nail. Make sure not to get under the sticker at all. I used NARS polish in Fury, part of their Fall 2013 collection.

3. Let the polish dry and carefully remove the stickers from your nail.

4. If you're anything like me (an impatient nail painter), your half moons might not be perfect. For an easy fix, use a dotting tool or stripping brush to clean up your edges.


Now, brb while I recreate this nail look in different colors each week....


7 comments:

  1. So handy, definitely going to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a cute manicure, loving the purple! I am usually pretty simple if I ever actually paint my fingernails because I don't paint them very often, or if I do I get my friend to paint them because she is perfect at that sort of thing. Perfect nails though and easy to follow tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's super cute! I am in love with that color.. purple is my favorite. I tend to stay away from bright colors on my fingers... but I've recently fallen in love with the blue from Essie's fall collection, so I've been wearing that uncharacteristically. I might try this with that color... super cute, thanks for sharing!

    xo,
    Zoe | La Vie en Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh wow, I didn't know it was THAT easy! Mquay, now I need to go try it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that nail design! I'll have to try it out for Halloween!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes! A nail trend I can actually wear to work, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the exposed nail idea! I keep meaning to try the binder hole sticker trick for a while now, too.
    ♥Emma, of It's Emma Elise

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...