Monday, July 28, 2014

Mani Moment: Sparkle & Fade with a Glitter Gradient

The Inspiration: Although I'm always looking for nail art inspo in my favorite magazines and around the Internet, sometimes I like to revisit my old designs with a new twist. So, for this week's look, I combined my Layered Glitter Nails with my Tape Manicure for a fun new way to wear glitter polish.

My Way:

It can be hard to create a glitter gradient using just the polish, so I used tape to apply my topcoat in a triangular shape. The way the glitter is thicker at top, coming to a point near the base of the nail, gives it an effect that appears to be fading out.  

Get the Look:

1. After applying a base coast, paint your nails a light pink or cream color. I used Nicole by OPI polish in Sweet Surrender.

2. Before applying your glitter gradient, let your base color dry completely. This is the perfect opportunity to prep for the next part of your mani. Rip off 20 pieces of masking tape (each about 2 inches long) and stick them to a nearby surface. This way, you won't have to worry about smudging your glitter to rip the tape later on.

3. Once your first color is dry, apply 2 pieces of tape over your nails, creating a triangle shape. Although I didn't snap a photo here, I demonstrated the correct shape in my Tape Mani Tutorial.

4. Apply glitter polish within the lines of your tape. I used Sally Hansen Triple Shine Dream Sequins.

5. [Optional] If you want your gradient to have even more of a fade to it, chose a slightly larger flecked glitter and apply it to the tips of your nails, similar to my Layered Glitter Nail Tutorial. I used Milani 531 Gold polish. Note: if you're layering glitters, chose polishes that have flecks of sparkle within a clear coat.

6. Apply top coat and take a pic of your fresh #ManicureMonday sparkle gradient!
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...